Golden Sands is the biggest summer resort on the North Black Sea coast. It is located 19 km from the city of Varna. There are hundreds of hotels and apartments, a lot of bars and restaurants, attractions and things to do for every choice. Hot mineral water springs and lush woodlands turn the resort into one of the most preferable tourist cities. The air temperature from May to September is 18 – 28°C, and the water temperature is around 18-24°C. The resort welcomes visitors from May till October and offers excellent conditions for an unforgettable holiday.
What are the best attractions in Golden Sands resort?
Golden Sands provides attractions and things to do for everyone! Here you can not only relax on the beach and make a tan, but you can also try all kinds of beach and summer sports, diving, swimming, etc. You can book also day trips and sightseeing tours, or explore the area on your way. Golden Sands is an attractive resort not only for young people but for families with children. There are numerous attractions for kids.
1. The best things to do in Golden Sands
Walk along the promenade
The promenade in the resort is the most popular place. It is very long, so you can walk for hours and find many things to do: there are stalls with souvenirs, bags, clothes, and many more, restaurants, bars and plenty of entertainment for adults and kids: ice karting, mini-golf, bungee (for kids), 6-D or even 9-D cinema. There is a special touristic train that you can jump on and ride on it back and forth along the promenade (the train costs 4 leva). In the central part of Golden Sands, you can enjoy the Ferris wheel and the Eifel tower with a café.
Relax on the beach
The beach in Golden Sands is one of the biggest in Bulgaria. It is famous for its pure and fine golden sands, which gave the name to the resort. Along the promenade, you will see sunbeds and umbrellas, that are paid for, but there is also a free zone. Most of the hotels have their area. The beach is 4 km long, up to 100 m wide, and is known as one of the best sandy beaches in Europe. Here you will find everything you need for your best summer vacation – from basic facilities to various water and beach activities. Nearby you can choose among numerous restaurants, bars and nightclubs, some of them located on the very beach.
Sport in Golden Sands
The destination offers its tourist a lot of sea sports options – yachting, surfing, water skiing, jet skiing, balloons rides, etc. Diving centres, volleyball fields, tennis courts, paintball, horse riding, bowling hall, tennis courts, volleyball and basketball fields are available here.
Go to a gym with a sea view
If your perfect vacation includes workouts, you can not miss this place. “Fitness with a sea view” is located in the promenade area, just next to the beach. The equipment is new and the endless sea view is in front of you. The entrance is 6 BGN.
2. Cultural sights
In the resort, there are no museums or historical places, but nearby, you will find some interesting places:
This is the most famous rock monastery on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast, dating from the 13th and 14th centuries. It is only 3 km away. You can walk around the park, visit several caves or enjoy an audiovisual performance.
Book an excursion in the area
If you would like to explore the area and get to know some popular places in Bulgaria with cultural sights and museums, book online one of our tours from Golden Sands:
The entire city is like a museum under the open sky.
Nessebar is under the protection of UNESCO and a must for every tourist in Bulgaria.
Varna City Tour
The biggest city near Golden Sands. Here you can visit numerous museums, big shopping centres and attractions (the Sea garden, the Dolphinarium, the port etc).
Kaliakra & Costal Trip in Balchik
Visit both places in one excursion. Balchik is famous for its Botanical garden and the Palace; cape Kaliakra is a magical place with a stunning view and a museum.
3. Enjoy the beautiful nature
The resort is surrounded by forest, which is a natural park. In close proximity you can enjoy:
- The beach in Golden Sands: one of the most beautiful wide sandy beaches that you can see;
- Nature park Golden Sands – the natural reserve Golden Sands have been a protected territory since 1943. It is on a surface of 1320,7 ha. The park consists of natural deciduous forests from various types of oak, such as moss-capped oak, Hungarian oak, swamp white oak, and hornbeam. The flora of the Golden Sands nature park consists of more than 500 species of plants. Most important among them are rare – the winter snowdrop, the Caucasian primrose as well as some orchids. Under protection are some endangered animals – 70 birds: common buzzard, goshawk, hawk finch, golden oriole, etc. and 25 species of mammals, including: badger, deer, and wild boar. A park is a perfect place for a day out around green nature and fresh air, enjoying a nice summer breeze.
- You can also book online day trips in the area:
Excursion Cape Kaliakra and Balchik – the entire nature on this route is beautiful! While travelling in the area, nobody can remain indifferent to the breathtaking views of the lavender, sunflower and green fields! The incredible scenery of Cape Kaliakra and the colourful Botanical Garden in Balchik are one-of-a-kind places.
4. What are the most popular things to do in Golden Sands with children?
- The beach – time spent on the beach is the favourite activity for all children.
- Visit aquapark “Aquapolis” – your place for a day out with more fun and adrenaline. The water park is separated into 3 zones: “For adults”, “For kids” and “Extreme zone”. The “Wild river” is a wide slide, resembling a river water flow, where adventurous journeys await you. The four-track slide is perfect for competitions.
- Excursions: On our website, you can reserve an untraditional activity for kids: Pirate Party for Children. This excursion is the favourite one for every child! Members will meet sailors on the board of the ship and search for pirate treasure. Food and drinks are included on board, as well as transport and entertainment.
- Dolphin show in Varna – visit the Dolphinarium: the dolphins are of the “Tursiops truncates” kind, who live in the Black Sea. There you can enjoy the dolphin show, swim with them or take a picture with a seal. The show consists of high jumps, double flips, and triple-axle. Dolphins will sing, dance-rock n’ roll and waltz. You’ll see how they save a man in the water. Do not forget – dolphins love the applause of the public! 😉
Kids Pirate Party from Golden Sands
5. Best activities for a rainy day in Golden Sands
During the summer holiday, everyone is looking for hot sunny days. In case of bad weather, here are some things you can do:
- SPA – time to relax with SPA treatments and massage. Most of the hotels have Balneo & Spa centres or indoor swimming pools. The region is famous for its hot mineral springs with healing abilities.
- Casino – play in the casino and try your luck. The 5 – stars complex “International Hotel Casino” offers over 130 slot games and the largest poker room in Bulgaria. It is located in the centre of the resort, you can not miss the 17- floor tower.
- Shopping in Varna – during rainy days you can spend the whole day in one of the shopping centres in Varna. There are 3 big shopping malls with cinema, cafes, restaurants, a play-zone and many boutiques or outlet shops with reasonable prices. Grand Mall Varna is a favourite place for shopping, Mall Varna is the oldest one in the city with premium shops & boutiques, and Delta Planet Mall is the newest one.
- Visit the Dolphinarium in Varna – the dolphin show is performed 3 times a day so check the schedule in advance and have fun with friends or children.
6. Exciting things to do in Golden Sands for Thrill Seekers
- “Aquapolis” – the most exciting experience in the water park is the “Kamikaze” high-speed slide. It is for people with strong feelings. It is launched from a platform at a height of 18 meters with a maximum speed of 60 km / h. “The black hole” is one of the most extreme slides in the park.
- Diving – “Harry’s Diving Center” provides modern equipment for underwater adventures. It is good for beginners and experienced divers.
- Kart Track Varna– is the largest karting race track in Bulgaria. It is certified by BFKC and offers Go-kart, Paintball, Buggy, and Sports bars. It is located 12 km from Golden Sands, which is 15 min. driving.
- Jeep safari – an off-road adventure in the nature park “Geranea” is available to book online on our website.
7. Nightlife in Golden Sands
There are thousands of bars, restaurants, and fast food along the alleys of Golden Sands. They offer Bulgarian and international cuisine. The resort is famous for its nightlife, multiple beach bars and disco – clubs. All the bars are high in quality and each one is designed in a cool and fashionable way.
Some of the most popular bars in Golden Sands:
- “Megapark Dolphin”– party all day and night. There is a pool with foam parties, as well as happy hours for drinks.
- Cocktail bar “Paris” – this café is located in a mini copy of the Eifel Tower with a beautiful view of the promenade and the sea.
- “Cuba Bar” – a typical beach bar with refreshing drinks and cocktails. You can sit on the swing or on a cushioned seat on the beach.
Some of the most popular nightclubs:
- “Bonkers” Disco – all night fun with free drinks and different promotions, neon party and many more; located in the centre of the resort, on the street behind the hotel “Astera;
- “Arrogance Music Factory”: 5 different halls with different music styles;
- “PR Club” – in front of Hotel Casino International – popular DJs perform every night.
Check out in our website:
Party on a Boat “Sun & Fun”
Out-of-the-way party on a boat with drinks & music on board!
No doubt that Golden Sands is one of the best seaside resorts in Bulgaria. With excellent conditions for summer vacation, recreation, things to do and attractions, it is the hottest place on the north Black Sea coast. Check out all excursions and tours from Golden Sands and reserve online on our website: